Monday 10 December 2012

2morrows Victory - Prime EP v Odeon EP

promised myself am not gonna write anythng new before going thru the (currently 47 and counting) drafts so here's one.

went to Giles Peterson's WWA warm-up at xoyo this year (instead of the real ting the next day everyone else went to and loved) and ...it was shit. no - I mean yes but that's not what I was going to say - ...these guys were the highlihgt. it was an overal bad experience for reasons that are neither here nor there but it was worth going to hear four I think tunes by a band I'd not heard of before. I then saw 2morrows Victory again shortly after at Odeon's release party at look mum no hands - a nice cycle cafe bar in Old Street you should check out and was really rather happy that I'd seen'em before. there was no soundsystem or acoustics to speak of in any sorta positive terms. still it was fun, they are fun, you can't not like them they are so cool, and I don't wanna say cute but I'm gonna have to say cute and I'm sure really good people, it shows. and their rides are cool. and most of their videos are very cool.

aside of all that coolness they also seem to be talented and innovative musicians and I really dig Greg B's vocals and flow (no idea what happened to the other half of them though, there seems to be only two left drummer Rafael Powell and Chi's Greg Bhailin)



so I had fairly high expectations for this new EP and when it came out tried hard to like it. listened to it many times and liked bits but overall it joins a sea of things that nearly stand out. I liked Odeon more. it was less polished and felt more honest, it had urgency and soul. hey I loved Odeon - it was righteous! this one is ok I guess but doesn't touch me as a whole (like I said there are bits that do, rancid dreamstate is mostly a beautiful track). it's also pensive and that clashes with my image of this band and where I see their potentail. plus large parts of it sound familiar (in a bad way). if I was played fragments with no vocals and had to guess the artist in some cases I'd guess wrong, possibly repeatedly. ye this pensive cinematic polished feel, can't dig it, it just doesn't engage me enough like Odeon does, effortlessly. but worst of all and what I'm pretty sure is the main reason I dont like this EP and will not listen to it again is the fucking pads. I hate pads I'd ban them, I'd sacrifice easily the few cases when they work and are cool to get rid of this painful painful experience. pads make me cringe and this EP is full of particularly nasty ones. no thanks. sorry...

I'll keep listenng to this one for now see what happens next..


No comments: