Tuesday 15 May 2012

robert glasper experiment at Barbican 14 May 2012

went to see robert glasper experiment tonight at Barbican with high expecations I guess but too much has been happening, a lot of it exhausting, some of it very very good, a lot of it bad so I didn't really have mindspace to think about it and be excited. I did have hight expectations though and I was right. it was a totally amazing experience, some bits of it otherworldly. sure there were slower less rousing moments. of course. can't fly all the time and actually I did fly a lot for one sit down show. hope I didn't break the chair I was jumping on. I usually find still audiences hard but this time I didn't pay any attention to anything just me and the music. don't know how people do it though. I guess they go to a fraction of live gigs I go to and are not used to dancing like maniacs. one of the girls - there were about 12 of us there it turned out, almost all usual gig people came out for this one all together - hated it apparently, was disappointed because she expected...album versions? how can you prefer versions tamed for a recording to the monsters these amazing people created of some of those tracks on stage tonight. of course a song at a good gig is often only a pretext to going wild in any direction it will take the musicians! It is funny coming from someone who apparently studied music and is apparently a singer. she really likes kittens though, keeps posting pictures of kittens on fb. something must be wrong with someone who likes kittens quite so much. I understand people who love their own cats ok? understand, but am ok with them. random kittens off of internet though? not right. anyways anyways I have recorded about half of it I guess maybe two thirds didn't quite see where the recording stopped. they went on for 3 hours! and videod some too, not much and not the stuff I would have wanted some of it, it's hard for me to force myself to take the camcorder out, and even when I do I fail to concentrate on it enough so end up recorging some corners of stage or the musician's legs. I am hoping for a couple of good ones to post, not seen or listened to any of it, was about to and was also going to write some more about the concert and the experiment (maybe) but got a text message saying 'tomorrow at noon'. If I do see Bankole tomorrow at noon or after I will be very surprised (it's not easy to make it to his busy schedule) but very very happy so time to bed. can't see sleeping happening after last night (8am-2pm) but I'll give it ago, It seems I'm as likely to fall asleep now as at any given time before 6 am after any sort of day: not very likely.

***

No comments: