Friday 16 March 2012

Let us begin by assuming that everything is a dream

I miss the train again. I am there on the platform when it sneaks in quietly without drawing my attention. I watch it slowly pull out and only then realise I was meant to be on it. I can't remember what it was that distracted me. and even though I never manage to get on the train my bag does and all my belongings are gone. I try to catch up with the train on a bike but notice first that I am naked (I am almost used to running around naked it doesn't bother me too much any more though is not exactly comfortable either) then, having covered a fair distance, that I actually left the bike by the station, unchained. I panic and run bare foot through the same sands and bushes that I previously negotiated on the bike I didn't have. I find clothes on the pavement in front of the station and put them on, find the bike at the back of the station but there is no point in trying to catch the train any more. the coin a bald, somewhat angry man gave me earlier that was meant to be a ticket or a key to somewhere important burns and falls apart in my hand. i go back inside the station and keep getting lost in a maze of passages and platforms, finally find the departures table - it confirms what I know already. I knew it the moment I saw the train in slow motion, leaving without me and taking away the brown leather bag I will never even try to reclaim. there are no more trains today, not to where I'm going. the jovial looking, corpulent woman at the information desk knows my predicament. she looks at me for a while over funnily shaped spectacles that make her look like a content predator, then suggests I could take a different train to somewhere not far from where I need to be, but I'd have to know where to get off. there is no station there so I'd have to stop the train in the middle of a field and jump off, then walk for quite a while in darkness (it is a late night train). I decide to give it a miss. I don't know what else to do though, I don't know anyone here, there's nowhere I can go and I have nothing other than the clothes I found and the bike. if I still have the bike which is uncertain. I spend some time playing with a very small almost translucent frog. next thing I know I am buying a huge white bear for a friend who has been dreaming about one even though I know I can't afford it. but the image of the friend hugging the bear has been haunting me so I give in and buy one. I put it on top of a wardrobe, a girl with black hair smiles approvingly, I think I am in her house. then suddenly I get attacked by a fierce flying thing let out by someone from underneath a big plank of wood. a bright pink and red cross between a fish and a lizzard, it sinks its pointy teeth in my hand and won't let go, its little eyes looking into mine quizzically, until i stroke its big ugly head with my other hand and we kinda bond. then my friend shows up and I give him the bear only it has turned black and there are now two of them. it is awkward, he really wanted a white one. neither of us knows what to do with the two black bears and the bears themselves, though only oversized toys, sense it and become very sad. we are surrounded by basins filled with dangeous creatures that are there, apparently, for our protection. my new pink and red companion is one of them. all pretty obvious and thinly vailed shit no need to consult dr F
do you control the dream. or does the dream control you.

No comments: