Friday 10 May 2013

on repeat: Grandmaz Nutz by G like Count Bass D

It is impossibly hard to write about your favourite musician. I know, I've tried and tried and tried.

I somehow stumbled on the video for Down Easy some time in 2007 I think and fell in love with Dwight Conroy Farrell at first sound. I stole BEGBORROWSTEEL - still one of my favouritest albums ever, now on bandcamp people! - right away, then all the other albums and for days listened to nothing else. I'd loved hip hop before but never felt so strongly about it. I discovered I had hip hop in my blood when I discovered Count Bass D and never looked back. some six years on and I find what he does with sound as fresh, unique and familiar as then and am as much in love as ever. I don't even know any more if the guy's music is actually that awesome or is it the unconditional tough love I filter it through every time with every release - and recently there's been many! - that makes me love it so fucking much every fucking time. I'm just saying this for the dramatic effect dontchano, I do actually know: shit is beautiful. every fucking time. every beat, loop, sample, distortion, vocals, lyrics, flow. pure joy, all of it, can't get enough. I occasionally disagree actually with some things the man says but still love the way he does it. I'll keep trying to write aboout it, meanwhile, a new beat tape just dropped and guess what.. I love it.




love it. buy it.

No comments: