Thursday 7 March 2013

duh moment of the week ft. the weekly suggestion

been marveling forever at how come there is toomuchmusic but people all over the motherloving place play the same tunes. I don't even mean the same artists I mean the same damn tracks. how, out of howevermany available on a record, everyone happens to pick the same one or two cuts? no one's gonna convince me that there is one or two tracks on every album objectively better than all the rest. no one's gonna convince me that everyone likes the same shit. no one's gonna convince me all those people have no taste of their own, just like what they are told is good. some, yeah, but not the majority. how come is: they don't pick them. duh..

I keep hearing people say 'I don't listen to whole albums'....of course that's not my problem. I listen to whole albums, if someone won't, fair do, smh but no skin off my nose. it does become my problem when that someone is a DJ and I happen to be at the party. that annoys me not only because I get to hear the same joints everywhere I go - that too, unless it's me putting it on I prefer being introduced to sick shit I don't know rather than hear sick (or not) shit I've heard many times - but the stuff that gets plugged the most and everyone picks up on tends to be the most 'accessible' or 'commercially viable', which rerely is the best. still that seems to be what most audiences expect and I guess little can be done about that.


anyways. here comes yo weekly suggestion: don't let other people pick your favourites for you. if you like an artist enough to play their music go and listen to the whole bloody album at least.

(just to be clear I am not talking so-called mainstream here. that's just not relevant and if I'm honest the only thing I know about it is that it has little to offer me. will change my mind if proven otherwise)

No comments: