Saturday 23 February 2013

Adam Mansbach and J.Period present RAGE IS BACK the booktape mix

[draft]
ok this is a draft but it's the least messy one out of the 61 I've got going and I'd decided I wasn't gonna go bed tonight till I've turned one into a post and it's 6:30 my back hurts I've no weed left or even tobacco, eaten too much brownie already and drunk too much sweet fennel and nettle tea n my eyes sting n been on twitter instead of turnng anything into anything anyway so there you go good morning..
Rage Is Back the sicko mixtape by J.Period, a companion to Rage Is Back the sicko book by Adam Mansbach is out. you may've listened to Black Thought and Common's joints and been anticipating the release like me or not either way it's out go get it. I'm half way through the book and the soundtrack is just what's been missing. ok not really (the only thing missing when it comes to sound is more time to fit more tracks. plus you can't really listen to the mixtape and read the book at the same time I no I've tried) but it's dope. I used to be able to read a book in a day, or two. now it takes me a month to read one, or two. where does time go?? anyways I've not liked a narrative or loved  characters and language this much since Oscar Wao. other than The Famished Road which I've been reading for years, very very slowly and am not planning on finishing any time soon but it's so different it somehow doesn't ... hang on actually maybe it does, maybe it is a great comparison and maybe it's not that different the magical realism the spirits the hallucinations and the changes. damn I am now convinced Mansbach was inspired by Diaz and Okri...

some time later.....:

so. I finished the book now. you know when the trains started pulling in and people were reacting in different ways and someone said 'They are all like that' I got so emotional I could have started crying. like I was there a part of it like it was my cause. kinda ridiculous I know but there you go. I love when an artist - writer, actor, director, musician, anybody - makes me feel like crying because of the beauty of what they have created rather than because they planned a soppy scene like for example the other day I went to see les miserables and had tears streaming down my face while thinking this is some lame shit. that pisses me off.. anyways anyways Mansbach's characters have become real people for me, and the plot as surreal n reality bending n fucked up as it is feels like something that really happened and I will want to revisit it like you look at pictures or watch videos of exciting things you were part of. this is partly because of the subject matter, graffitti is one of those things I must have been involved in in previous life or someshit because I have inexplicably strong feelings about it.  but it is also down to how Adam Mansbach builds characters, creates moods and images and the language, which is massively important for me and made me buy the book straight away after reading the first chapter or two that were available for preview. it's the kinda book I'd want to write if I wanted to write a book which I don't and haven't since I done that creative writing course (tho the fact that the book I am now looking at sat between d keyboard and screen is called Is there a book in you? may wanna belie that. it's shit by the way) I have no time to read books I want to read once these days but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna read Rage Is Back again. shit is beautiful. makes me wanna write books.

lucky I have nothing to write about. fuck even that's not tru any more. been hard to keep up lately.

No comments: