Tuesday 13 November 2012

London Jazz Festival: PSYLUS @ Queen Elizabeth Hall tonight

I'm gonna have to write (=unleash some prime hysteria) about Psylus sooner or later and given it's already later the sooner the better....They are playing London Jazz Fest tonight and I can remember only ever once being so excited before a gig (the coup last month, Boots being my all time hero) and I do get excited a lot nahmean? 

I love Psylus. I've been stalking them since I first discovered them playing jazz re:freshed - the BFBWJN in LDN dontchano - with Dahu Mumagi and have since seen them several times at Troy bar in Shoreditch where they had residency with Dahu for a couple of months earlier this year, at jazz re:freshed again and recently an Oxjam fundraiser in Dalston. Every single time the reaction of everyone present was strong. they are the kind of band that makes people who come to gigs to chat with their friends at the bar leave everything and go watch the gig with their mouths open. their music is not background music, it will snatch your attention and make you wonder where you've been all this time (just above a year)

Psylus is the melding of five progressive minds that together create realms of sound transcendent of genre. A dynamic exploration of textures and styles; Psylus finds its foundations from each members’ respective roots in Jazz, Hip Hop and Electronic Music, which serve as a platform for abstraction and musical evolution. 

when I first read this I thought it a bit pretentious and somehow empty of meaning. the more I know them and their music though the more I am inclined to just sign my name under this description. Psylus is a melding of five progressive very young and very different minds, backgrounds, interests and views and together, through music, they transcend all these as well as genres and create realms of sounds and textures entirely their own, the level of abstraction is just right to blow your mind. they are a small hurricane, getting momentum....er...yep. as we speak*. 

if something is missing in your life it is very likely that it's Psylus. unless you are miles away, dead or your life depends on being elsewhere come down to Queen Elisabeth Hall 6pm tonight to find out  and let them take you on a beautiful explosive journey. you will want to see them again I promise


 *toldja

No comments: