Thursday 6 September 2012

Que Sabroso!

in search for Ohmega Watts (whom I still haven't found other than that one quite awesome track by the Sureshot people) I stumble upon K Sabroso and tropical bass. 

TROPICAL BASS! of course! strange I've not heard of that tag given that so much of the bass music I listen to and like is tropical as far as I am concerned. to quote a blog I just discovered and will be following if I find time,  we are living in a new musical and cultural age, a constant mashup of the western and tropical world. No folklore kitsch, no fake-authentic traditional music with funny hats on. Global Bass with influences crossing continents on a daily basis. Contemporary and real-time. yes! that's exactly where I live! but then I'm made for tropical dontchano. and I don't mean holiday

and this guy, apparently a b-boy (ay que rico!) from Indianapolis turned dj/remixer/producer, deals in exactly the kind. afrolatintropical with dollops of ...everything else that's good



the first word that came to mind when I heard babina numa EP, K Sabroso's latest release on Rad Summer, was different.

it sure is tropical. it is cheerful and uplifting and excited but not silly or shallow. there are deeper darker things (of which the beautiful tribal chant is an obvious but far from only example) at play for sure. just like the tropics. at just 3:48 it is a very rich and multilayered track. the more I listen to it the more layers I discover. I'm a bit slow admittedly and my understanding of music is rather instinctive, which may be why this one caught and mesmerised me straight away. 

then there's 5 remixes and they are all dope. yes all of them. each of the three shorter versions including the original would be too short on its own but hey like I said there are 6, each very different to the rest but they create an awesome whole. it's not often that I can listen to a EP featuring remixes of one tune in one go (repeatedly!) but here I can honestly recommend it. the way Senor Oz's haunting gruffness blends into Caballo's (nomen omen) crazy gameboyish gallop straight into the jungle of the otherworldly bass cushioned chopped up chant of Skyshaker's take is insane! the whole thing is highly addictive. it will be popping in your head and chances are you will like it and keep going back to the different remixes for more of that unique atmosphere each one of them creates!

so ye, that's just the latest EP

now Garifunasty.... oh boy. I'd need to buy some time first but ain't nobody selling so I'll leave you with this gem for now (hehehe) wah wah!



there are people who walk thru this mad place like curious oversensitive children with adhd spotting great things, taking them, playing and rearranging but with respect without spoiling the elements, then return the resulting mixture to the world. and it retains the brilliance of the parts while being more that just a sum of them. this kid seems to be one of those. the stuff he does draws on many influences but never quite fits the description for any of the tags that come to mind and while I'm sure it would be great to hear at a pool party with a cocktail in your hand if you are that way inclined, that is not where it will take you. go.

and while you at it, have a look at some fractal insanity, you'll like that also


where is Ohmega Watts??

No comments: