Sunday 16 September 2012

KWABENA


I almost gave up on this post when I read Gabriel Benn aka Tuesday Born say that his only-song-for-rest-of-life song was Umboorella (an integral and important part of my idea of hell). ok not really coz the post was pretty much finished and I love the artwork above. ok not really coz yes really I dig the music.(edjit: plus of course it was a joke hope no one is as slow and gullible as me and believed it)

a composer, jazz pianist, vocalist and producer, his music - what he calls afro electronica - at 21 feels as mature as it does natural. the blend of electronica and african/afrocaribbean rhythms is the exact opposite of rare these days, so is the 'went to (pick a non western country) and came back to release trip influenced music' scenario. what is rare however is the seamlessness of and organic feel to the fusion, how  naturaly effortless these multilayered soundscapes feel and how original. in the words of Audio Doughnuts: blurring the lines between ‘world’ sounds and electronic music, the soulful, African-inspired electronica he creates fits no niche yet appeals to many ears for its technical finesse and eclectic sound palette. quite

KWABENA, due out on 8/10 on AD, is a beautiful, Ghanaian influenced, soulful jazz infused showcase of this skill and a gem of a track




did I mention beautiful? almost painfully so. this track has Soul!

also check out the Mockingbird EP came out earlier this year. that shit beautiful also, quite dancefloor oriented too



buy it. buy it! I think I will. lemme jus sell somink first [wavering between resigned sigh and bitter laughter]


also also check out The Busy Twist of which Mr Tuesday is half.
their Friday Night EP will be out next week on Soundway records

No comments: